Friday, June 5, 2009

Earring Earnings

I like being able to offer five-dollar earrings at shows. Actually, I stagger the prices: I have five-dollar, eight-dollar and ten-dollar earrings. You would think the sales would be inverse to the price; they're not. Ten-dollar ones go better than eight-dollar, even though the primary difference is in price of materials and I'm selling on a college campus. What can you do? The five-dollar ones always go best, though, which was the point of that story -- and interestingly enough, stated reasons to buy are a fifty-fifty split between "Oh, my friend would like these" as an addition to another purchase, and "Oh, I forgot to wear jewelry today and these match my outfit."

Online I can use prices that would require change in person, so I'm thinking of branching out and charging eleven or twelve dollars for these:


After all, they're real turquoise beads and the dangles were an absolute pain.

But every so often I see a pair of earrings like these, and think maybe I should add another price point. Aren't those incredible? I wish I'd thought of them. Obviously I won't exactly imitate someone else's design -- that would be immoral as well as illegal -- but what about hefty shell button pendants with a stack of spidery red coral branches over them? Hey, I have these flat diamond-shaped shell components in a pretty canteloupe orange ...

No comments:

Post a Comment