Friday, June 3, 2011

Vintage-styled photos and vintage cooking

Hmm. So now that I got all excited about the vintage shots for the bridal jewelry back in March, I've apparently been doing that for a while already:


Available here.

I b'lieve what I did there was jack up the shadows and desaturate a bit. It's a great way to handle white-on-white, and works beautifully on the raw silk backdrop; the texture is interesting but regular enough that it doesn't distract from the organic wire-wrapping, and the curves of the backdrop give the corners an old-photo darkening effect that is much more subtle than the applied version on the bracelet photos.

On an almost totally different note, I felt the urge to link to this. It's an interesting post from yonder at Steampunk Cookery discussing Orientalism, that old "using every part of the buffalo" tripe (haha, I'm so punny) and why it should only ever be used ironically, and the reason that my 1950s cookbooks have an organ-meats section but that fades away in the mid-70s.

No comments:

Post a Comment