Sunday, August 23, 2009

Pearls plus polymer ...

Looking at the items that the week's special offer applies to, I have to say ... I always seem to have these bizarre whims to combine pearls with really inappropriate materials.

There was this early-on experiment with printed wood beads where I appeared to think that red plastic and white pearls went perfectly together.


Available here.

And then there's these. Polymer clay and freshwater pearl is just not generally thought of together. As M says, "Those are strange. I like them, but ... they're strange."


Available here.

Mind you, I think both of those are great designs and great pieces of jewelry, but there's this ... almost a creeping sense of guilt for combining the two. Bead elitism, if you will. Like the clay should stay on its own side of the tracks, or the pearls' fathers will beat them up. Is that weird?

No comments:

Post a Comment