Thursday, September 3, 2009

Hurricane conditions, dead squash, and earrings

Okay! I think we're all right. Evacuations have been downgraded to voluntary, due to smoke.

We had the most phenomenal weather yesterday. First, wind. True California Santa Ana winds. Then it rained. It poured. It rained and poured and blew so much that the rain was going in two different directions at once, neither of them down. My mother-in-law found a large puppy advert in her roses that had been posted three blocks away.

M's dogs hate thunder; Fergus, the large flat-coated retriever who ate our sewing counter and our first garden, refused to come out of the bathroom

Feeling inspired, I went and reseeded some of my plants once the weather went back to normal. My oregano sprouts fried, so I've redone that and placed it where there's a bit more shade. My sweet pea actually did sprout, I discovered once I unearthed the seeds, so I reburied them under less soil and am hoping to see them break cover soon.

The zucchini has died and I can't figure out why, though I'm tempted to blame squash stemborers. It was doing so well for a while, it was like a little potted jungle with leaves as large as my two spread hands, but then it all yellowed so I basically pruned off half the plant. It was looking better for a while, but now it's dead again. I'm contemplating filling its squash pot with garlic. Any suggestions for new veggies? I'm Sunset zone 13/USDA 9.

I'm having one of those alarmingly productive days. I ordered in a ring mandrel so I can start trying wire-wrapped cocktail rings, which I haven't done in some time indeed, but it's on back order, and ordering the next item up was a difference of ten dollars. Hopefully it'll come in soon!

Until then I'm doing earrings, often in very bizarre designs. I've hit one of those creative walls I get sometimes, where I'm convinced that I need to do something New and Fresh and Different so I wind up with incredibly random designs and eventually M finds me having glued my hands together and sobbing over a mismatched earwire with bits of batik in my hair.

And, um ... I think I inhaled a little sliver of glass. This is probably bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment