Thursday, September 17, 2009

Work happy!

I went to my second day of training for my new tutoring job today, and halfway through the instructor whose class I'm assigned to came in and handed me a note saying "Let's have coffee" with her phone number. We went after the training session to do so, and she asked me halfway to the car, "What books do you like for this course?" I told her I hadn't been terribly thrilled by the booklist, but ... "No booklist. I'm post-six," she told me (post-six lecturers have something one step below tenure; they are the Most Awesome). "What books do you want to do?"

We're still going over it, but we've agreed to do The Yellow Wallpaper, probably scenes from Hamlet and/or Othello (my favorite play), and maybe a little T.S. Eliot, with the possibility of showing "Another Brick in the Wall."

I am so, so thrilled to be doing this.

Tonight, I restring a paid commission and some things for M's grandmother's sister. Restringing is pretty good for the money, honestly, especially because people usually end up giving me spare vintage beads. I'm doing an anklet for an Etsy customer, previously on elastic, with gemstone teardrops hanging to swing freely from small hammered silver rings, which interrupt the bead strand. This takes a little (a lot) longer and rather more stringing medium than simply hanging the teardrops from the wire by either their drill holes or by jump rings, but it should look very lovely when done.

No comments:

Post a Comment