Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Things I never thought I'd be excited by

My jewelry design has given me a previously-unknown passing interest in Fashion Week. I was a little chagrined to discover this, but not altogether surprised, since I already scan the covers of trashy magazines to see what kind of sparkly things are on their cover models and, when my coworkers and I were streaming Project Runway after work, I was sketching accessories to match the outfits instead of following the drama.

Then I got distracted by the Olympics, specifically the gorgeous, occasionally exquisitely pagan opening ceremony theatrics, and the awesome music choices in pairs figure skating -- Queen's "Who Wants to Live Forever" and the overture to Man of La Mancha, both out of the People's Republic of China. If neither of those couples won I'd have thrown things.

But now I have something new to be excited about -- Swarovski has come out with their Innovations for spring and summer 2010. We're getting two new colors in crystal beads (fern green and Provence lavender) and a new Lavender crystal pearl. A bevy of new shapes, too, of course -- the ones that interest me most are the couture Lotus pendant, which reminds me of a sand dollar and will definitely have to make an appearance in my beach-wedding line, and their new baroque pearls. I think I would still use a genuine pearl by choice if I was going to have an organic look -- for one thing, freshwater cultured pearls are actually cheaper -- but I've seen skeins of Swarovski pearls in person and their shimmer is amazing. You can see the whole spring-summer line here.

So that's exciting. Hmm, I was supposed to be working, wasn't I.

No comments:

Post a Comment