Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The college fashionista accessorized

Posting from the class I tutor (my entire function today is to sit here until someone wants help with the peer draft review; not intellectually stimulating), and one of my students just walked in wearing the following ensemble:

*Oversized menswear flannel shirt, sashed at the waist, sleeves rolled to just below the elbow, in blue and grey plaid
*Shorts in yellow, aqua and green plaid
*Footless tights in grey tartan
*Black sandals and a navy paisley headband

I am reasonably sure this isn't "everything that was clean" college-student dressing, as this student's dress sense runs long on multiple patterns, visible garters and kawaii -- sort of a Goth-Lolita look without the Goth but with a dash of hippie chic. It's growing on me.

So I have decided to make a necklace and name it after her. (Maybe not the best idea, actually; she shares a name with one of President Obama's daughters, they've been exploited enough lately). Anyway. I have grey tartan beads and floral beads and possibly still some polka-dot beads. These must come to coexist. It is a mandate upon my soul.

It's kind of an interesting fashion trend, though, when you think about it. An import from Asia, possibly? When I was little I had to be discouraged from pairing red striped pants with pink polka-dot shirts. But from where I'm sitting, I can see the following combos on representatives of 18 college freshmen:

* the abovementioned three plaids and a paisley (on a girl)
* black and white checks with tie-dye (on a boy)
* a subtle grey and white camo with a jean vest and kente-like bandanna (on a girl)
* plaid flannel shirt over white-on-white stripe tee (on a boy)
* narrow vertical stripe jacket over horizontal stripe blouse (on a girl)
* argyle sweater with subtle floral skirt (on a girl)

Surely these sets would have once been unthinkable ... two different stripes together? Camouflage and kente cloth?

Now my fingers are itching for beads and I have 90 minutes and a shopping trip to get through before I can get my pliers in my hands again. Gaaah!

No comments:

Post a Comment