Monday, September 27, 2010

Back in (Bridal) Business

It is time for an announcement:

TangoPig Jewelry Creations is now selling bridal jewelry.

I know, I know, it's not my usual niche market -- but all my research indicates that the bridal category has pieces that are a.) unique and intriguing, b.) well-constructed, and c.) affordable -- but no d.) all of the above. And d.) is what I do.

So, my forty-some bridal pieces have at last returned from consignment, which -- I now feel comfortable blogging -- was an unrelenting nightmare -- the consignee never replied to email, there is no evidence that the pieces were ever actually displayed in their shop, and their online marketing was laughable -- one piece, made of freshwater pearls, was advertised as "hand carved ivory beaded earrings." A couture Swarovski crystal piece I wincingly priced at $80 retail, and braced myself for a loss of profits, was listed at $40, about $25 (significantly less than I spent on materials) of which would have gone to me. The same piece was listed as "glass and lightning sand" (which I have never heard of). Let me note at this point that I spent days on pricing and thorough descriptions for them. My business name was nowhere on the site; four pieces were photographed with only the back showing.

Also, that same Swarovski crystal necklace came back severely broken.  It was a coral sprig pendant.  They're flat.  This should have been easy to pack.

It would probably be professional at this point to go back and remove their links from my blog (if I ever even did link), but I am much more spiteful than professional. It's a personal flaw.

So ANYway. They're now out of my hair and I can sleep at night without worrying they've made off with that thousand-some dollars worth of jewelry, and I'm out of their inventory so they don't have to worry about me calling the police for petty theft or a customer actually buying something, which would necessitate them paying me and possibly being asked some interested questions about their either-false-advertising-or-elephant-poaching.

For you lot, there will soon be photos and a special offer or a few to promote the collections. Even pre-special offer this jewelry I'm currently listing the hell out of is going to be waaay below the 300% bridal markup I've discovered is industry standard. Everybody wins!

No comments:

Post a Comment