Friday, September 24, 2010

I can work the equivalent of four part-time jobs, right?

So classes began yesterday and already school is ... well, gruelling.  Item listings will be slow.

I'm attending five classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays from eight to five -- no lunch break in there, either -- and then two classes plus six tutoring appointments on the other three days.  Twenty units.  A full-time schedule is twelve.  Plus a part-time job.

But that's okay.  I can do this.  I fantasize that I'm walking in the weary footsteps of heroic scholarship students in the insular worlds of Victorian universities.  Hopefully, the romance of being overworked and underslept won't entirely wear off for about ten weeks.

However, some awesome things:
- My history professor refers to lectures as "storytime," requires laptop use, and encourages us to comment on the class Facebook page with questions.
- All of the lecture halls are still filled with colorful helium balloons, too high to reach, with signs calling for academic strikes.  This is brilliant -- I love creative nonviolent political action.
- Nothing makes me feel smart like going to class and hearing someone define self-actualization as when you're so self-actualized that you're fully self-actualized.

And we should be getting some new special offers here soon/at last!  So stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment