Monday, November 1, 2010

A Last Quarter List

  1. Dear God, I haven't had my jewelry stuff out in weeks.  It's a darn good thing I have such a backlog of photos to post.  It's just ... see, I have this issue where when I'm staring at things to do, I get incredibly overwhelmed very very quickly.  So pulling all the stuff on the shelves and then having to put it all back to get it off my mother's table does not currently feel like an option.  I'm told this can be a sign of Tourette's or ADHD.  Ya don't say.
  2. Assuming I don't manage to do it again in the next month-and-change, the total number of times in my undergraduate career I have locked my keys in my car is 2.  I'm pretending this is an excellent final score.
  3. I've developed a weird habit.  Rather than have a key dish like a normal person, when I get home and tear my clothes off to change into representatives from my growing collection of Threadless tees and gypsy skirts with pockets, all the stuff from my pockets -- the Pilot G2-07 ink pens I insist on, five-dollar bills, loose change, two kinds of chapstick and my cell phone -- are filed carefully in a shoe.  I actually now have a shoe I don't wear but reserve solely for this purpose.  It's a left Croc knock-off with fleece lining.  It goes on the floor under the window.
  4. If I don't make 50 sales by the end of the year I am going to drown myself.  Please don't consider this a guilt thing, O Gentle Reader.  I've just been sitting at 49 since spring.  Mind you, I'm getting more attention than I used to, treasuries and blog-offers and such, and once the front page, so I assume this is just the summer-fall sales slow-down.  I'm writing this way ahead of time, mind (almost all of my list posts take a few weeks to slowly compose), so I might hit that goal by the time I post this thing.
  5. On a vaguely related note, my favorite line from a Shakespeare play remains Roderigo's "I shall incontinently drown myself" from Act I in Othello, just because in modern parlance that's a great freakin' metal image.
  6.  One of my shirttail cousins, Roland's girlfriend D, loaned me a book called The Girls Who Went Away which is several case studies of adoptions after the first Great War but before Roe v. Wade.  It's brilliant and heartbreaking and reads as smoothly as fiction.  I was desperately in need of a book to relax with, having read my way through Discworld again, and this fits the bill beautifully.
  7. Why, why in my final quarter at UCR have I finally started making undergrad friends?  Surely these cool people have always been here.  Where were they?  Where were all the other socially awkward/steampunk-loving/lunch-packing/vintage-shopping/sexually-liberated/too-loud/Twilight-hating/anime-watching/any-or-all-of-the-above Anthro majors for the last three years?  Have I just been missing them?  Actually, this is horrible but I think what happened is half have graduated and the other half have moved a few places down their people-to-talk-to list to me.
  8. I think I might start posting links to more of the treasuries I make.  Treasury used to be a nightmare, but now it's wonderful.  Easy to do and easy to get a spot and wonderful relaxing fun.  Great for a nice positive way to connect with other Etsians too.  As I believe I've said before, the forums depress me, so this is nice. 
  9. For the first time in years, I didn't dress as anything recognizable for Halloween yesterday.  I was all set to wear my LOLcat costume from two years ago, but I forgot that I was working at the time and I designed the costume to go under my apron.  It doesn't work without the apron.  And all the other costumes -- my RAF uniform, my Gibson Girl dress, my Ren Faire stuff, all the ones from the Azkatraz con last year -- went with M to South Carolina in my cedar chest.   Now, mind you, I RP, so it's often recognizable to M which of the various characters I play were allowed to pick my clothes on a given day -- black and red and poet shirts and a short chain necklace is one person, skirts and heels and a lot of green is another, brown boots and a brown leather collar is yet another -- but this isn't detectable to anyone else.  Hence, I threw on the hand M and I made and my combat boots and called it a costume.
  10. I like to refer to this day as All Saints' Day.  It makes me feel educated.  I generally manage to resist spelling Halloween as Hallowe'en.
  11. I shall now resist the conventional list-of-ten format by making this very statement.  Aha!

No comments:

Post a Comment