Friday, November 5, 2010

A meditation upon plastic


Available here.

I generally avoid plastics. I once posted a spirited defense of them on someone else's blog, noting that they were often very elegant-looking, stood up to hard wear much better than cheap glass, and their lightness for their size made them extremely useful for applications were weight was a concern. Besides, a lot of people love vintage plastic. That said, I do tend to worry that they'll make my work seem cheap -- and I charge relatively low prices and am, you know, a beader, so I get that a lot from the apparently endless supply of incredibly rude browsers.

I hate to use my own work to prove my point, but ... I think I have here proven my point.

All the beads in this brooch are either plastic or vintage brass.  The almond-shaped beads are vintage too.  They have an AB finish (which is why this thing was so bloody hard to get a photo of that wasn't green).  This is a use where the lightness matters -- beads of that size and this brooch's dimensionality in stone, ceramic, even glass might have made this impossible to wear on any but the sturdiest weave -- and the design is gorgeous.  They also, because of the secure wrapping and their flattened shape, can't have their mold lines turn the front, which is something I hate.  I'd use more plastic if there weren't those visible seams.

I'm not going to become a vintage plastics hound -- there are many people in that niche, and more power to 'em -- but I need to work on not treating my cool plastic stuff like a red-headed stepchild.

No comments:

Post a Comment