Wednesday, January 19, 2011

An insightful remark from someone else

My last word-choice article, which dealt with the words beautiful, pretty and lovely, got this awesome comment from Barbara MacDougall of Artefaccio, which read in part:

"There is a war I fight between my black-tee-shirt-and-jeans-no-jewellery-clad, hard-nosed, concrete view of the world, a world divided by practical needs versus impractical wants, and remember what it's like to be awe-struck by whimsy and impracticality and overcome by irrational desire for something so beautiful my brains go out the window."

And I kind of had a "Eureka!" moment, because that's it.  That's why writing online copy to describe your own work is so damnably hard. We carefully cultivate a business-minded toughness so that it's difficult to connect the "I am managing my business" neurons to the "pretty words are pretty!" neurons.  That's also why writing this series has helped me so much -- in addition to the paranoia that people are going to come to my shop and say "You hypocrite!  You said 'beautiful,' 'elegant,' AND 'authentic' in that one description!", I'm weaving connections between those parts of my brain so it comes much easier.  Dr. Kawashima would be chuckling proudly right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment