Monday, January 24, 2011

Contemplating wording

There's this new-jewelry-business grant that I wish I could apply for, except that I have no documentation of actually having started my business in or after 2008 (which I must have, I think; it was about the time I met M and that was spring 2008).  However, that is not the point because I instead want to highlight one of their requirements:

"Their design companies must focus on 'bridge jewelry' which is the segment between costume jewelry and fine jewelry that includes accessories in sterling silver, semi-precious stones, crystal, freshwater pearls and other similar materials. This segment is also known as 'craft jewelry' or 'art jewelry.'"

... well.

I don't really like "craft jewelry," because "craft" has connotations of Vacation Bible Schools and little old ladies with Styrofoam and Froot Loops ... which is weird.  I'm a Lord of the Rings nut engaged to an ordained pagan minister, I should immediately think witchcraft and smithcraft and wicked craftiness. Yet it makes me twitch a little.  "Crafter" is better, "craftsman" (used as a gender-neutral term) is awesome, but "craft" is squirmy.  Maybe I just went to way, way too many Vacation Bible Schools.

Still, though.  "Bridge jewelry."  I like that.  Will anyone know what I'm talking about?  Because it beats the hell out of my demented little construction of "fine high-end fashion jewelry."

No comments:

Post a Comment