Wednesday, October 27, 2010

(Name) (Type) (preposition) (Material)

I dislike the look of the SEO-optimized item titles that are just keyword spots, and I always insist on naming my pieces, even though you're not really supposed to according to the businessy articles I read.

Naming my necklaces and earrings and such is one of my favorite parts, just as the best part of writing a story is naming the characters (which is funny, since the only one I've ever posted here had exactly one character with an actual name ... hmmm).  It gives me something to think about while I photograph.

This isn't true in the case of the steampunk-industrial stuff, which is named as or before it's made, since nearly every piece of that type has a little story that goes with it.  It's also not true in the case of the bridal jewelry I've been posting lately.  The collection names came easily and were fun to poke at, like normal naming, but the individual pieces were harder.

There's a piece of jewelry in the bridal line named for every single female character M or I have ever played in an RP (the cameo bracelet is named after M's character's mother in our current steampunk tabletop, for example) ... plus babies M has caught, obscure Greek mythological characters, and a Marquis de Sade novel.

So that was difficult, but normally I really enjoy the names and I feel like it gives me a chance to hint at the feel, mood and story I want each piece to evoke.  Unfortunately I'm not brave enough to give the awesome dark moody "descriptions" like certain cool sellers whose stuff is better than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment